Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Fred Factor

The interns read "The Fred Factor" by Mark Sanborn this summer. It's a great book about making the most out of your job and turning the ordinary into the extraordinary. I feel that high school students are just beginning their work lives and should start with some great tools for success (even though this book would be great for anyone wanting to make the most out of their job).

We had them write down thoughts after each chapter. Here is what they had to say about different parts of the book:

Which Fred principle is you favorite and why?
"Success is built on relationships is my favorite because if you have good customer service you are more likely to have people visit you again and bring others. Good relationships bring good success!" - Ka'la Drayton

"Everyone makes a difference is my favorite. I love the line, "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted." I agree! If someone did their job with dedication then he will stand out even if his job seems small." - Erin Peifer

"You can reinvent yourself regularly is my favorite because it allows you to show your creative and individual side." - Jalonna Robinson

"Everyone makes a difference is the one I like best. I feel like so many people don't believe this, but everyone affects things around them. No matter what you do, you make a difference. Whether that difference is good or bad, is your own choice." - Jeremy Kitzmann

"You must continually create value for others, and it doesn't have to cost a penny is my favorite principle because I don't ever spend a penny. To make a friend's day all I do is make them laugh." - Oddom Vong

Why would anyone want to be a Fred?
"Loving what you do, making other people happy, caring for others...all of those things will in turn make you happy and generally a great person to be around." - Hillary Evans

"To satisfy others and go to sleep at night thinking, Wow, I really impacted that person's life whether they know it or not. To share joy with others that may need it and not know they need it." - Jalonna Robinson

"Why would anyone NOT want to be a Fred? People should want to be a Fred to not only better themselves, but to better the people around them. Becoming a Fred will make people have the best times at work and at home. People should want to be a Fred to make a change." - Kaitlyn Servello

"For self satisfaction, to feel important, to make a stranger smile, to live a more positive life." - Jeremy Kitzmann

Everyone Makes a Difference (chapter 4)
"Because making a difference makes life sweeter. When you do something nice for someone, a smile or a thank you is the biggest reward." - Carlee Hennemann

"Every little thing you do to or for someone else affects their life and ultimately your own." - Angela Liu

What do you think of the 7 B's of relationship building? Do you think they work?
"I do think they work. In all, he is saying that honesty and having interest is most important in relationship building. I agree because my best relationships are based on that." - Erin Peifer

"I like the 7 B's a lot. I think they are so true. My favorite one would have to be, "be real". I think you have to be real so everyone knows who you are and not somebody you are trying to be." - Oddom Vong

How can you add value to your position here?
"Entertain mostly. Nobody likes to hear facts read straight from a book so you have to add fun and people will listen and at least walk away knowing one new thing." - Carlee Hennemann

"I could be more enthusiastic and give people strange facts toremember. With children, I can give small prizes to reward them. While working, just greeting someone could create value." - Caitlin Smith

Why is it important to reinvent yourself? How can you do so at the Aquarium?
"It is important to reinvent yourself so that you are able to have a more enjoyable life and to help become a better Fred. At the Aquarium I can reinvent myself by acting on my ideas because like the book says, if you don't act they will just be ideas, not actions." - Kaitlyn Servello

"So you can constantly improve yourself. Since I'm shy, I could begin to be more engaging with staff and visitors (I don't think I'm really getting better with that!)." - Angela Liu

"You efforts inspire people, whether you know it or not. Reinventing yourself can give you more options. At the Aquarium, I can always help a visitor or listen to what they have to say. I can go out of my way and do more than my job requires." - Caitlin Smith

How can you turn the ordinary into the extraordinary here at the Aquarium?
"I can make sure that everyone is beyond satisfied with their visit by just listening and caring about what they say. I can also treat the visitors and staff with dignity, respect and kindness." - Ka'la Drayton

"Let everything you do come from the heart. If what you do is meaningful to you, others will see that and it will become meaningful to them also." - Hillary Evans

Hope you enjoyed those as much as I did :)
- Jaime

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home