Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Jesslyn's last blog...thoughts and advice


The HSIP is an amazing opportunity that truly exposed me to a workplace where customer service, caring for animals and doing your best was strongly encouraged and recognized. I learned a lot about engaging with guests and providing my services to them. I also learned how to appreciate my current and future jobs in a new light by reading FRED and observing the way the amazing Aquarium staff handles their tasks and intentions with guests. When not working at the Aquarium, I am working a typical part-time retail job. To anyone else, this job may seem filled with insignificant tasks without any meaningful purpose. However, I have learned to approach my other job differently – because of what I learned from my internship at the Aquarium, I strive to apply the same services and work ethic in all other duties of other establishments turning the “ordinary” into the “extraordinary” (as cliché as it is). My part-time retail job is another opportunity to provide excellent service when possible, engage with customers and hopefully spread my influence of a pleasant customer experience. It is fulfilling to know that I have skills to serve others, which I wouldn’t feel as confident in without the experience from my internship.

For future interns, I would advise to take the time getting to know more about the animals you’ll be working with – it’s a lot more fun when you know what you’re talking about as you’ll be better at engaging guests and interpreting for them. Plus, you’ll just keep learning more and become more knowledgeable. This summer I’ve learned so much about the animals that live all around me! Also, get to know your fellow intern and non-intern colleagues – you’ll make some really great friends.

For those in the training classes, work really hard on your booklets and just have fun! J I am incredibly fortunate to have been granted this opportunity. I hope it will be open to many others in the future.

-Jesslyn

Jesslyn on the left, Alexis on right

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home