Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Helena's husbandry duties

It's fun but not easy. For me, helping with husbandry duties involves sea turtles, a bald eagle and birds in the Mountain Forest and Saltmarsh.



My Mondays begin with sunning the baby sea turtles. Sounds easy, eh? After completing numerous tasks, I tend to come out with soaked clothes. For me, sunning turtles is not so easy. I'd say my Tuesday duties run a little bit smoother. I cut up shrimp for the stingrays, collect old food and put out new food for the birds, and hose down the floor of Liberty's [bald eagle] enclosure.


Preparing shrimp cups isn't so bad but bird food and poop is a totally different story. Putting new food out for the birds in the Saltmarsh doesn't create any problems, picking up the old food that's been sitting in the heat for hours does. I've been known to have a strong stomach but the smell from the old food seems to get me every time.


In the Mountain Forest, the smell isn't too bad so all my attention is on picking up the plates as fast as I can before the turkey comes around. Oh man, what an adventure in the Mountain Forest, especially when the mist is in full effect. The last task on my list is Liberty's poop. It's quite simple - all I have to do is hose down the ground while hoping Liberty doesn't decide to poop right where I'm standing.


Helping with husbandry duties provides me with a great "behind the scenes" experience. I LOVE IT!


-Helena

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home